Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wednesday: C.W. Harris Elementary School (Cleaning, organizing, hanging with kids:)



            Today after breakfast we went to the local elementary school. Before we even left for the elementary school we knew that this was going to be one of the best days of the whole mission trip. We arrived at the C.W. Harris Elementary School and were assigned to either organizing books, cleaning desks, or moving furniture. My group was assigned to reorganizing books. We threw away some of the books that were in the 70s – early 90s and put the books in order. My group got done re-organizing books pretty quickly. After we got the books re-organized we had to move desks and other school supplies from one side of the school to the other side.
            All the groups met together in the library to reorganize some of the books that were unorganized. We stopped for lunch and ate our lunch with some of the little kids that were there. We played several rounds of duck-duck-goose. After the duck-duck-goose the kids wanted some piggyback rides. So we ran around the school giving piggyback rides to all the children that were there. They enjoyed the time that we spent with them and we enjoyed the time as well. It was fun to see how their faces lit up when we gave them a ride or played tag or duck-duck-goose with them. The kids needed that kind of attention. Many of the kids do not receive that kind of attention outside of school. So when they saw us leave, they were very sad to see us have to go.
Those kids made it worth going to D.C. At first I was on the borderline if I wanted to go or not. But now after seeing what I have seen, I am very glad to be a part of this mission trip. I’ve seen God work through normal people such as Miss Vix on our first day of service. I’ve seen people rejoice in the Lord even through pain and suffering. I’ve seen people who have seen what real pain is like and persevered because their hope in the Lord. Sometimes I wish that everyone could go on a mission trip like this. It has definitely strengthened my faith.

- Justin Vander Waal



No comments:

Post a Comment